Angelokastro is one of the most important byzantine fortresses of Corfu. It is situated in the northwestern coast of Corfu, at the top of a rocky hill which overlooks the north and northwestern part of the island.
The exact period of the castle’s erection is not known. Probably it dates back to 12th or 13th century. The castle was under the Angevins from 1272 until 1386. During the Venetian Occupation (1386-1797) Angelokastro retains its significance. The castle played a decisive role in defending the island during three sieges of Corfu by the Ottomans in 1537, 1571 and 1716. With the advent of modern warfare, and after island’s surrender to the French Democrats, the castle’s importance declined and during the 19th century it was deserted.
The fortress consists of a low wall in the middle of the height of the steep rock, which protects its east and north sides while the west and south have natural fortifications. The walls’ battlements survived in the north-west corner of the fortification.
At the highest point is situated the citadel protected by a circular tower. The ruins opposite the main gate were the garrison’s quarters. Three underground cisterns kept the castle supplied with water. At the same area of the Citadel stands the little church of the Archangel Michael. A second church, the chapel of Agia Kyriaki, has been carved in the rock.